Tuesday, April 12, 2016

Friday, April 8, 2016, My creative writing class had the opportunity to sit down and talk to Chinese foreign exchange students who are experiencing college at MSU. we also had the opportunity to give them a tour of the school and talk to them about what school was like in China. 

Q: What did you learn? New Chinese Adjective? How to write it in Pinyin?
A: I learned that you have to really enunciate when speaking or you could say something 
completely wrong. My Adjective was Overwhelmed which in Pinyin is Chao Fu Du.

Q: Aside from the "faces" activity, what did you talk about? Who were your Exchange students, and what did they tell you about China or their experience here? Will you be in contact with them again?
A: My exchange students, Kerry and Jackie, and I talked about what school was like in China and how much freedom they have here compared to in China. They were so amazed by how free we are and the privileged we are. It was very eye opening.


Q: Where did you go on the school tour? Did they comment or take pictures?
 A: The places we toured in the school were A Science room, The Art Hallway, Photography room,(We went into the Dark room where they develop film) The Orchestra Room, The Big and Little Gym, and The Auditorium where all the school plays are held.
They were so amazed by the many things we had in the building. They really enjoyed how colorful and random some things were and were really surprised by how privileged we are. Kerry took photos of our Gym and the Orchestra room. She also took a photo of us in Mr. Millers Biology room in front of all of the Plants and took photos of the Snakes and other animals in the room. They were very excited to be able to see an American high school for the first time and Kerry had even said she wished she could have the opportunity to experience an American high school. 
I did not realize how much I have the opportunity to experience.  They Told me that the high schools in China are very bare walled and strict. they do not have Gyms or Orchestra classroom and Art rooms with paint and photography there. I could not imagine High School any different than I have. I  feel like that experience with them was partially meant to be a reminder that I am blessed and have so much experience with things they consider random but cool. At the end of the day she gave Me and my tour guide group, Charli and Lastenia, bracelets.
This was seriously an eye opener..

2 comments:

  1. I was so proud of you and your group. I could tell your visitors were happy and felt welcome. I was so touched that they brought gifts, too I'm glad we could give them something in return! Most of all I'm glad you feel blessed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you look back at your blog and see this comment. I want you to know how much I enjoyed coming to class because of you! You are so caring and kind and happy to be here... and talk about creative... Your poetry is awesome and clever and honest. I loved reading your posts. I appreciate all the times you spoke up to quiet the class - and not just because they needed to settle down - but because you genuinely wanted to get started with our next assignment. Your blog is a reflection of your creativity. When I first opened it up, I thought, "Wow, I love that title!" You and your group of friends brought depth to the blog. What a clever group and you are a sweetheart. I'm already missing you!

    ReplyDelete